?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Reposted with permission from a dragon - The Wicked Wench

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Am's Site

Links
My Amazon Wish List

August 21st, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
09:46 pm - Reposted with permission from a dragon
Mr. thewhitedragon posted his faire list and gave me permission to repost it here. Feel free to comment here or go to the original post (http://thewhitedragon.livejournal.com/133898.html)



  • Persona does not equal personality** No matter how often you've engaged a performer doing a street bit or sat in the audience applauding, in reality, the person you see doing that bit is very likely not the same person without the audience. They are actors and are there to fill the seats so of course they're going to be nice to you and perhaps stay for a chat after the gig. This does not mean they will remember your name ten minutes after they walk away or act the same if you bump into them while out for dinner after the show.

  • Castmembers are there to work - please keep that in mind if you want to talk to a friend while they're "on". Breaking character can get them into serious trouble or possibly fired. By all means, talk to your friends, but remember that they there to play a part and need to remain aware of everyone else around you.

  • Rennies remember faces and those of us who are really organized might be able to keep track of the name to go along with it. The majority of us, however, forget what others call themselves unless we've become very close. Don't be insulted if we can hold intimate conversations for the run of the show and never be able to address you by name - faire keeps us young at heart but makes us senile at names.

  • Rennies can do two things better than any other group of people: gossip and hold grudges. Keep that forever ingrained in your mind should you choose to insult people behind their backs.

  • We were all new to faire at some point - remember how nervous and alone you felt when you meet someone new to the scene. Welcome them into your heart and you might see the beauty of faire through fresh eyes... ones not of your own.

  • Peppering management with snotty comments about disliked policies they have put into place will more likely get an eyeroll than serious consideration. If you feel strongly about a policy, write them intelligently and be prepared to back yourself up. Even if they don't change their way of things, you've at least made an honest attempt, they've heard your side and weighed your opinion with theirs.

  • Faire is a place to wear "funny clothes", but sticking to the general era really helps to maintain the atmosphere that people are paying to experience. I love cartoons as much as the next person, but that Winnie the Pooh outfit should really be saved for Halloween parties. Some people can only make it out once a year and seeing out-of-period costumes really ruins the feel. If you feel that you simply must do it, remember there is "wrong" and then there is "too wrong".

  • Just because I'm wearing a kilt doesn't mean you have the right to reach up there and grab the ol' twig and giggleberries without checking to see if it's okay first. By the way: it's not... ever. The velvet tights I'm wearing is not an open invitation to grab my ass, either*. The chemise that my girlfriend's wearing does show off cleavage rather nicely but that doesn't mean she's some sort of slut who you have free license to continue hittting on after she tells you to stop - if I'm around, I'll stop you... if I'm not, my friends will. Perhaps forcefully. "No" means "No". Period.

  • "If you see brown, it's too far down." is the golden rule for cleavage. Bear in mind, however, that you left the house looking like that to go to a public event - don't be surprised if a guy talks to you without ever looking you in the eyes. If you don't like "all the attention" walk away and rethink your garb choices. Wear whatever you want, but don't expect people not to look or take a photograph - it is a public place after all.

  • What might be fine for a night club or bedroom doesn't mean it's perfectly suited for a family show - leave the bondage gear and Victoria's Secrets stuff at home where it belongs.

  • That sign out front that read "No Trespassing"? It's there for a reason and quite a few people shoot first and worry about the questions later. It's a public event, but it's private property. Unless you are a castmember or vendor, you don't belong on site when faire isn't open to the public. Bottom line: if you trespass on private property your newest addition to garb could be coordinated pieces in black and white stripes.

  • While it's fun to dress up in garb outside the gates, keep in mind that anything you do in your bodices and kilts becomes the stereotypical view of someone who has never attended faire. If you get drunk and flash the crowd, you're only encouraging that kind of behavior from the 'danes. Let's be honest for a moment: you are representing faire (to an extent) so when you grab someone's arse in garb, the general public won't know any better if they do attend faire. We, as rennies, get away with things inside the gates that if done outside the gates could get us in serious trouble - can you say "sexual harassment"?

  • How you act at other faires does influence the way that the regulars at that show view the acceptable behavior at your home faire. Make an ass out of yourself and they'll believe everyone at that show are asses. It's not only your reputation at stake there, it's all of ours.

  • Reputations stick to each of us like glue - you'd be surprised about what people have said about you when you weren't listening. You'd be even more surprised at what people expect you to be like because of said reputation.

  • You are not an "official anything" unless you have documentation backing your claims up from the real people in charge. People will call you on it if you misrepresent yourself.

  • Membership in any group, organized or not, unless sanctioned or organized by faire management does not grant any additional rights or privileges. The only thing it grants is a connection to others like you - be it the Lunde Guilds, AFR, the unofficial "clans", unofficial "security details" or even part of the Single's Weekend crowd who have stickers plastered somewhere on their being. When a group of people band together, mob mentality and inferred rights are a common outcome. Many times these people feel that they deserve special treatment or are "above" what they actually are: paying customers. I'm completely content to be a patron and don't expect special treatment simply because I'm part of several large groups of people or because I've been attending the festival for far too many years. I'm content allowing those who the faire has appointed to do their jobs earn their keep and I trust that they will do so. I'm not above asking for a special favor for myself once in a while if I'm prepared to accept responsibility for any issues that arise but I'm also content to cease and desist if the favor is not approved.

  • Just because my friends and I are in the White Hart while the Singles Weekend celebration is going on doesn't mean that every ass is fair game for grabbing or that my friends should be repeatedly bombarded with cheesy and crass pick-up lines. Just because you paid twenty bucks to get in for the day so that you could pick someone up, buy them a few drinks and bang 'em like a screen door them doesn't mean that everyone shares you sleazy hopes and dreams. The vast majority of us are there simply for a drink or to meet new people. Many of us brought our families and don't appreciate your screaming "Nice tits" at full volume while gyrating your hips in front of someone's 13 year old daughter. When someone says "no" take the hint and move onto your next "target".

  • When a performer is attempting to do their gig, that is not the proper time for your gathered group to scream huzzah at the top of your lungs after your impromptu show. They are paid to be there and to entertain; you paid to see them so try and enjoy those who are paid by your admission fee. People didn't actually pay just to see you, believe it or not. Stopping someone from doing their show is wrong and will definitely not bring the good favor of management or cast.

  • When someone's boyfriend starts to get in the face of an inferred rival suitor, just because you are wearing a piece of pewter or are carrying a magical ID card, you are not authorized by faire management to handle the situation. The red shirts are there with the full legal backing of management; you are there as a paying guest. By all means, run off and find someone with a walkie-talkie to alert security - most likely they are already on their way to the incident so finding them should be no problem. Jumping in the middle of inebriated frat boys hell-bent on pounding on someone will most likely get you a bruise or black eye for your trouble. It could also get you served a lawsuit for assault if you take that swing like you're itching to do.

  • Crashing a cast only party after hours or wandering around backstage can get you into deep doo-doo with both security and management, regardless of who you might be friends with. Keep that in mind and be prepared, if you are caught, to be banned from the site. Unless you are a participant, you are most certainly not cleared to be there after security has finished their nightly sweep regardless of what you tell the guy out front. You should not expect to get any free beer at the King's Kegger or Talent Show if you don't have a participant's pass.

  • Not everyone wants to join your group. Telling someone that they need to join a group to take part in your fun isn't going to win you any points - it will most likely make you appear cliquish and exclusive. Others don't want to be attached to the politics or feel pressured to be someone that they're not. Invite someone to play and if they really seem to enjoy themselves then make your group's sales pitch. Even if they don't want to join your group, treat them as you would want to be treated because kharma is a nasty little bitch with sharp claws. I like to think that Rennies are a very accepting lot.

  • Regardless of how much money you spend at the pubs and in the shops and throughout the season, keep in mind that more sales are generated from those people who come for the day and walk out with armloads of crafts and are $200 poorer in the one or two days that they attended. You are a paying customer, no matter how expensive your outfit was.

  • That table is not yours - it is, in reality, property of the faire. The same goes with the pub the table is situated in. If you want to sit somewhere all day, fine - you are missing a lot to see and do but that's your call. Telling someone to move along because it happens to be where you congregate every weekend is rude and self-important. Telling a cast member to move along is just plain stupid.

  • Blatantly currying favor with the cast can very well get you looked down upon and make them feel uncomfortable - they'd much rather have a friend who they can talk intelligently to than someone who uses them for bragging rights. They are actors playing a role and have seen toadies come and go over the years, Renfield. Not to mention that they probably act much better than you do - they are professionals at their trade. If you want to befriend someone on cast, try treating them as a person instead of a role.

  • Gossip spreads like wildfire within the Rennie crowd; we are a very talkative bunch. Before you pass the flame to the next person stop and think if it sounds plausible and then get it clarified first. Many of the rumors that are passed around are based on hearsay and only bear a slight resemblance to the truth.


but there are plenty of good things about faire as well... and I think that these far outweigh the negative aspects.

  • A smile and a rose given to a complete stranger wearing jeans will make that person feel like they own the world. You might even make a new best friend. Try dancing in the rain with a random person and you might get treated to a smile that rivals the hidden sunshine.

  • Wearing pewter or being a part of a group will allow you to find someone that you have things in common with. Powerful friendships can be forged through these simple badges.

  • Talking with someone new to the faire at the pub about the shows and events can make those people feel that they belong. Occasionally they might treat you to a free beer, but more important is the fact that you've made someone comfortable in your "home".

  • Breasts are wonderful if displayed decently - just remember that they have gorgeous eyes and wonderful minds attached. Take a moment and look at all of these things before you focus on just one (or two). Just keep in mind how you'd feel if someone was oggling your little sister and treat the person how you'd want your sister to be treated. You might find that the real beauty isn't the size of the cleavage, it's the size of the heart.

  • Single's Weekend (or any weekend for that matter) is a terrific time to meet new people or to get to know someone you're already acquainted with even better. By all means, send someone a compliment, a rose or a smile - your soulmate might be right in front of your eyes. If you're shy, you don't have to leave them your name or number so what do you really have to lose?

  • Rennies very often view other rennies and "non-rennie" friends as part of an extended family, even if it's just like an odd (but very cool) Aunt that comes to visit once a year. Finding emergency toll money so that you can go home isn't really all that hard because you are part of the family you've surrounded yourself with. Keeping those drunken louts from starting a brawl with you is a lot easier when a fellow rennie's watching your back and ready to make a mad dash for security.

  • Rennies are a varied and diverse bunch that hail from all ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations and political views because they have at least one very important thing in common: faire. You can learn more about life over a mug of cider than any television broadcast or how-to/self-help book - even if you're not a "rennie".

  • Friendships born at faire don't break, regardless of the time or distance involved. Even the simplest symbols of these friendships, like a butterfly fluttering across the stage at Pub Sing, can make the strongest of us cry or leave us remembering the love for a friend.



*this rule is waived for a few people - if you need to ask, you're not one of them.
**credit goes where credit is due - thanks squire_liz

Standard disclaimer: the views expressed here and elsewhere within this journal, including, but not limited to "rants", "opinions", "entries", etc. are mine. My opinion. Not the gospel. Not to be taken with alcohol. Not to be followed blindly. Not based on any particular fact and should be considered gossip or hearsay. Feel free to read, respond, debate or acknowledge said opinion. If you don't like my opinion, great -- stop reading this journal or state your own opinion disputing it. If you want to post a response telling me that I have no right to express said opinion and/or tell me how wrong said opinion is without providing proof, you can just fuck right off. I think that about covers it. Enjoy!

(You won't believe what they said ... | You have something to say?)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:pamlin
Date:August 22nd, 2006 10:56 am (UTC)
(Link)
This is fabulous!!
Makes me almost wish to go to faire...
[User Picture]
From:thewhitedragon
Date:August 22nd, 2006 01:38 pm (UTC)
(Link)
the sad part is that I feel the need to point this out each year - it's all common sense stuff in my opinion.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com